Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ups and downs.


Well, on my trip to Hakone last week there were a couple of tiny issues. The car was riding super low at the front and I hadn't had time to adjust before I left. So I had some small resultant scraping. The wheel fender inners are not the best anyway, but the car really needed another 5mm ride height adjustment to avoid that "choop choop" sound on full bump compression or loads of lock and roll in tighter corners.



So, in favour of function over stance, the car is now 5mm higher at the front and the result is a flat effect. Rears remain the same. The new KTS shocks really feel good. Both on the street (passengers may be less discerning) and through the twisties. Taking bumps with ease and easily controllable on throttle. Just how I like it.



The result is still low, but infinitely more street-able. Especially on my driveway with wheels on lock.  My tyres are the highest 235/40 I've ever seen. Pirelli dragons. Maybe it's my smooth driving, but the tyres are OK  they really didn't feel too bad up in the mountains. Of course, If I drive really aggressively, then provoking over-steer is not a problem, AT ALL. This is the kind of setup I like anyway. I like to take a car to the limit. If the limit is lower then thats OK too. It's more fun.


This small bend was the result from my driveway the other day. I fixed the small tyre intrusion during the lowering process. The car needs still some minor TLC. It's small things that make it a track car, not a show car. Previous owners poorly rolled front fenders were never an issue as a wide-body or replacement fenders capable of handling 255 were always on the cards. Nothing a bit of sandpaper and well executed touch up won't fix though.


For anyone with independent height adjustable coil-overs, it's easy to do this with very primitive FD jack and the c-spanners. Alignment is probably effected a small amount but not enough to do too much damage to handling.


Top position remains the same. The lower one not visible in these shots is where they adjust. I have three settings. (for my reference 100:89:84)


This little baby loves the 0.9 setting. 0.7 just doesn't cut it. BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Russ.

No comments:

Post a Comment